Your recovery check-list:
- Improve my ability to see clearly & interpret accurately.
- Stay true to my values, desired outcome, & ultimate purpose.
- Accept reality as it is, not as I wish it were or think it should be.
- Think less in terms of failure and more in terms of feedback.
- View myself and others with more understanding and compassion, & less judgment and blame.
- Take responsibility for getting my needs & desires met.
- Respond reflectively vs. react reflexively.
- Think less in terms of "right/wrong", "good/bad", or "true/false", and more in terms of what is effective.
- Focus & act on what is within my control to change.
- Stay flexible & open to alternatives if what I am trying is not working.
On a daily basis, look over your list, and be mindful of what each one means for you.
Last week I referred to "Letting Go". This last week, I have sent out on twitter what letting go is, and what it is not. I will include it in this weeks post. This was given to me during my time in therapy and preparing for peer-support. It is anonymous.
~Letting Go~To let go does not mean to stop caring,it means I can't do it for someone else.To let go is not to cut myself off,it is the realization that I cannot control another.To let go is not to do for others,but to allow learning from natural consequences.To let go is to admit some powerlessnessand to recognize that the outcome is not in my hands alone.To let go is not to try to change or blame another,it is to make the best of myself.To let go is not to care for,but to care about.To let go is not to fix,but to be supportive.To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all of the outcomes,but to allow others to effect their own destinies.To let go is not to be protective,it is to permit another to face reality.To let go is not to deny,but to accept.To let go is not to nag, scold or argue,but instead to search out my own shortcomings and correct them.To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires,but to take each day as it comes, and cherish myself in it.To let go is not to regret the past,but to grow and live for the future.To let go is to fear less and love more.
There will be a group tomorrow, Monday, August 23rd, 2010 @ 2p.m. PDT. We will continue on the subject of self-talk.
Hope to see you all there!
MJ ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
*Click here to discuss this weeks post with the group*
Thank you for being an important part of My DBT Life . com!
To benefit fully from our online peer-support group please:
- Subscribe to our weekly blog – http://www.mydbtlife.com
- Follow us on Twitter for frequent mindfulness Tweets – @mydbtlife
- Join our forum for Peer-Support & discussions about the weekly post – Forum
- Join our Face Book page to increase awareness of our services – F.B. PAGE
If you would like to help in financially supporting our efforts please visit our Donations page to find out – How are my donations used?
If you can’t help financially at this time that’s OK! You can still help out:
- Post a link to http://www.mydbtlife.com on any page that you own: Face Book, My Space, Twitter, Your BLOG or Your Website- Every link helps us reach the ones who need these services!
- Volunteer some of your time as a moderator in our forum. If you are certified as a peer-support person or just a friendly listening ear with experience, all are welcome to donate their precious time to help others in similar situations. Please E-mail us for more information!